Petrochemical and Refined Petroleum Products
To learn more about Sarnia-Lambton's Petrochemical & Refining Complex view the Sarnia-Lambton Petrochemical Complex brochure .
To view PDF files, you can download free Adobe Reader by clicking here
- The industries of Sarnia-Lambton's refining and petrochemical complex
- Hydrocarbon feedstocks and key intermediates
- Petroleum and petrochemical products produced
- Plastics, rubbers and latices produced
- Inorganic chemicals
- Raw materials used but not produced
- Products blended, repackaged and / or terminaled
Click on the icon to view or download the Sarnia-Lambton Petrochemical Complex
Click on the icon to view or download Map - Sarnia-Lambton Biohybrid Chemistry Cluster
Sarnia-Lambton is an internationally centre for industrial chemical industries, and home to many well-known multinational firms, including: Air Products, Plains Midstream, LANXESS, Dupont, Exxon-Mobil (through its Canadian affiliate Imperial Oil Limited), NOVA, Shell, Suncor, Praxair, and CF Industries.
As our area's number one sector, the local petrochemical and refined petroleum industries provide a strong base of advantages for new chemical companies. Manufacturers, including photovoltaic and thermal solar products and bioproducts, can also benefit from this solid infrastructure foundation:
- Major pipelines bring crude oil, natural gas, natural gas liquids, and ethane to the region, and a further network of pipelines facilitates transfer of intermediate feed stocks and raw materials from one company to another within Sarnia-Lambton. Access is provided to raw materials from the Marcellus Shale Basin in the northeastern U.S., Western Canada, the U.S. Gulf Coast and offshore from the Atlantic Seaboard.
- Underground salt caverns allow for the storage of significant volumes of products.
- The St. Clair River provides cooling and process water and is a vital link on the St. Lawrence Seaway.
- Companies in the chemical industry have immediate access to the raw materials needed for manufacturing automotive parts, rubber-based products, extruded plastics, secondary and specialty chemicals, insulation, synthetics and many other products.
- Sarnia-Lambton's extensive infrastructure for supporting the construction and maintenance of major capital projects has a proven history of successfully building plants in excess of $1 billion.
- Lambton College provides graduates from degree and diploma courses designed specifically for the chemical industry.
Sarnia-Lambton is an active participant in the Sustainable Chemistry Alliance. Made up of companies, associations, and individuals representing the chemistry value chain, this group is working to established Ontario as a global leader in innovative, environmentally sustainable, chemical products, technologies and processes.