More and more people in the autumn of life are considering starting their own business. Do you have a hobby or interest that you want to turn into a revenue generating business? Have you spent an entire career fine-tuning skills that are now saleable on the open market? Are you neither mentally, physically or emotionally ready for retirement?
There are many reasons why mature entrepreneurship might be perfect for you.
Unlike many younger entrepreneurs, you possess a life time of skills and attributes acquired through day-to-day activities that might span twenty, thirty or even more years in the work force. Consider just a few of the assets that you possess today that were absent in your youth:
- An established credit history. You likely have a positive net worth.
- You may have accumulated considerable assets and the encumbrances are now paid off (house, car(s), investments, cottage, R.R.S.P.’s, etc.)
- If you had them, your student loans have long been paid off.
- Superior people skills
- The soft skills acquired through life-time employment.
- Experiences in multiple disciplines even if you only worked for one employer in your life.
- If you’re collecting one or more pensions, this puts less pressure on you to generate larger revenues through your business. Essentially you now have the freedom and flexibility to live off your primary income and leave the surplus in your company to grow on itself.
Any or all of these considerations make you better equipped to start your own business. If you have a business idea that you been considering, come on in and let’s investigate it together.
For more information contact the Business Enterprise Centre of Sarnia-Lambton today!