Ontario’s Hydrogen Hub
Sarnia-Lambton is Ontario’s Hydrogen Hub. The area’s location on the Canada/US border provides access to the economies of scope and scale necessary for the development and transformation of the hydrogen sector.
The area represents an immediate opportunity to leverage existing grey hydrogen production with immediate and long-term local opportunities associated with blue and green hydrogen production, fuels cells, hydrogen storage, and hydrogen blending.
Sarnia-Lambton already has significant hydrogen production facilities who produce for customers or as part of their processes.
- Air Products
- Linde Canada
- NOVA Chemicals
- CF Industries
- The Sarnia-Lambton area is Ontario’s largest cluster of current and potential hydrogen producers and users, with unique competitive advantages, positioning the region to become Ontario’s leading producer, user, and exporter of low-carbon hydrogen, and hydrogen technologies and services.
- The Sarnia-Lambton hub has the capabilities to work with stakeholders to drive hydrogen production, research, piloting and demonstration, training, and deployment via the “Commercialization Hub” process.
- The Sarnia-Lambton area presents Ontario’s most immediate opportunity to leverage existing grey hydrogen production with immediate, short-term, and long-term local opportunities associated with blue and green hydrogen production, fuels cells, hydrogen storage, and hydrogen blending.
- Significant opportunities to integrate with existing core industry to shift towards a low-carbon economy.
- Investments can leverage the Sarnia-Lambton area’s established energy and infrastructure assets, research capabilities, and properly skilled workforce to spur the development of targeted opportunities across the low-carbon hydrogen value chain.
Significant assets and infrastructure can be leveraged by new low-carbon hydrogen investment:
- Existing hydrogen pipelines
- 76 active salt caverns in Lambton County
- Geology for carbon sequestration
- Proximity to Enbridge Gas Dawn Hub
- Large volume energy supply
- Interconnections to existing industry
Ontario’s Low-Carbon Hydrogen Strategy
The Sarnia-Lambton area is recognized as a priority region in Ontario to advance the province’s low-carbon hydrogen economy.
Read more about Ontario’s Low-Carbon Hydrogen Strategy.