Summer Company Program
How it works
Through the Summer Company Program you can get:
- Start-up money to kick-off a new summer business
- Advice and mentorship from local business leaders to help get the business up and running
Learning how to run your own student business is one of the best summer jobs you can have. You get to be your own boss while learning what it takes to manage a business. Sales, marketing, bookkeeping, customer relationship management and networking are just a few of the highly useful skills you’ll develop.
Who is eligible
You could be eligible, if you:
- Go to high school, college or university
- Live in Ontario
- Are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Are between 15-29 years old (if under 18: a parent or guardian must sign the agreement for the applicant)
- Are not already running a business
- Are not working at another job or going to school for more than 12 hours a week during the program
- Are returning to school after the program ends
You cannot apply again, if you have received a Summer Company grant in the past.
If you are on social assistance (Ontario Works or Ontario Disability Support Program) you can still apply to Summer Company. Payments from the program may be exempt as income and assets under social assistance, so your monthly social assistance payment may not be affected.
What kind of business
You can choose to start almost any type of business, as long as it:
- Is a sole proprietorship or corporation (where you are the majority shareholder)
- Is an independent business venture (not a part of an existing or family business)
- Qualifies as “self-employed” for income tax purposes
- Operates in Ontario on a full-time basis
- Follows government rules for operating a business
Applications are currently being accepted. Apply here.
February 21 Information Session, Register Here
March 14 Information Session, Register Here
For more information on the Summer Company Program, please call 519-332-1820 or contact Chantelle Core.